Tuesday, June 5, 2018

A Story of Abuse

My name is Joey. For forty years I have been abused by a man named Robert. Robert has severely abused me emotionally, spiritually, and mentally. Most of my life I didn't even know it was abuse, I thought it was normal.

Just recently I have become strong enough to protect myself and resist Robert. The abuse has stopped and I am recovering. I am working hard to heal from my self-loathing, and the guilt and shame and control that drove me to suicidal intentions more than once in my life.


The problem is... my spouse is deeply in love with Robert, and won't let me talk about what has happened to me or explain why Robert is bad, or say anything negative about Robert. My extended family is the same. They want to hear nothing negative about Robert. My spouse spends a lot of time with Robert and thinks he is the most wonderful thing. My spouse wants our kids to be around Robert and influenced by him as much as possible.


This is why my marriage cannot last. This is why I must limit the time around my extended family. It's too painful and unhealthy for me. My spouse and extended family would claim to love me the most, but they do not want me to talk about my experience with Robert, and how deeply he has hurt me, and robbed me of so much, and severely damaged my soul. They don't want to hear about the pain Robert has caused me.


They don't want me to tell them about Robert, because they love him more.



Joey is not my real name, and Robert's real name is The Mormon Church.